homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:56 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Open Card Project
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Somewhere underground mining diamond and obsidian. [Region 6]
I assume you all know about the Open Ev Project for TP and LD? Well I'd like to introduce one for Apologetics.

Purpose
This is a place to find free cards for Apologetics. It's focus is not so much on being "open", but sharing valuable information that we can use for the rest of our lives.
It can also play a part in helping people re-create their boxes they have misplaced.
The beauty of this thread is that it's not something that has to be swept clean each year. The Apologetics topics are the same each year, and as the years go on, the cards available to help new students or students that have been doing this for a while, will increase. Making easy, straight to the point information available quicker.

Before you post anything on Scribd or Mediafire, make sure you want to. I say this because Apologetics in NCFCA is a speech category, one that everyone tries to do their best and win in. I would ask that you please share any cards that you have cut from online sources, seeing that the rest of us are probably going to find it eventually anyway. However if you do not wish to share personally made cards with personally thought up examples, that is perfectly fine. I would just ask that you view this thread as a way to help others minister to people, and not a way for people to make it further than you in this category.
I'd like to quote the goal of Apologetics from the NCFCA's website: "The goal of apologetics is to motivate students to study the core issues of the faith and be prepared to articulate a defense of what they believe."

FAQ/Troubleshooting
some of this was taken from the TP Open Ev Project, but it still applies to this Project. I just replace "brief" with "card" or "file" and took out a couple unnecessary things.

1. I can't download stuff from mediafire/scribd/whatever because of parental controls.
a) Talk to your parents - have them unblocked if you can.
b) If you can't (for instance, the ads are kinda bad), download firefox (web browser) and look for the plug-in that blocks ads - then see if that blocks all the bad stuff.
c) If none of those work, PM me with your email address and I'll download the file and e-mail it to you.

2. I can't upload to those sites either...
a) That's a toughie. You'll have to find some other site that you can upload things to.
b) PM me, I'll send you my email; email me the file and I'll post it.

3. The link is dead.
a) PM me (don't post) which file it is and the dead-link: I'll either fix it or find the person who uploaded it and fix it up quick.
b) It's possible the person just deleted the file. If so, I'll check it out and either fix the link (above) or delete it and let you know.

4. I uploaded a file. soooo...
a) Helping out is good. you've benefited somebody somewhere, whether your file was used in an apol round or to minster to someone in real life.
b) It's important to know what you "give up" when you upload the file(ethical aspect too)
i] First, it could be construed as unethical to trade that fileto somebody else - it is your file, yeah, but you uploaded it for everyone to use... and you're trading it? it's just a little dishonest.
ii] Second, you should know that people are going to use your cards - don't be surprised if someone has some. then you can go "oh cool! my cards have been used!" : D
iii] By uploading a card(any card), that card is now (attributed) public-use - anyone can use it, mess with it (keeping carded-attribution), cut in half, cut it in fourths, etc... if you want to delete the card/link, send me a PM and I'll edit it out.
iv] You're also obligated to update it - this isn't a requirement or anything, but if you have a much better version that's, say, twice as long, don't just leave the old one on here - remember why you posted the first one in the first place.

5. Doesn't the NCFCA site say you can't share boxes?
a) This rule only applies when you are in a tournament.
i] You can share entire boxes outside of a tournament, just not in a tournament.
ii] This project is different than sharing boxes, seeing that we are just sharing some of our cards.

Files
Category 1
A) Definitions
Verses

B) General Questions

C) Statement Analysis

Category 2
A) Definitions
Inerrancy

B) General Questions
Historical Accuracy of the Bible
The Bible Written by Men

C) Statement Analysis
The Bible is True

Category 3
A) Definitions
Verses

B) General Questions
What is Meant by the Fall of Man?

C) Statement Analysis

Category 4
A) Definitions

B) General Questions
Why Man Needs Salvation

C) Statement Analysis

Category 5
A) Definitions

B) General Questions

C) Statement Analysis

Generic

"Knowledge is power." - Phil Davison

Quantic Media CoD Director
_______
Matthew Hamilton | Hamilton/Yager | Region 6 | 2nd in TP at Nats 2011 - Yes, we were the ones that ran the CP in finals.

Last edited by evensides on Wed May 12, 2010 3:19 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Open Card Project
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:52 am 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30897895/Apologetics-Bible-True-Card I posted a card on the open ev project :)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:18 am 

Historical Accuracy of the Bible

_______
Matthew Hamilton | Hamilton/Yager | Region 6 | 2nd in TP at Nats 2011 - Yes, we were the ones that ran the CP in finals.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:30 am 

What is Meant by the Fall of Man?

_______

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm 

Why Man Needs Salvation

_______

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:35 pm 

The Bible Written by Men

_______

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:17 am 
Truth In Advertising

Question: Is the benefit of Apologetics primarily in the 10 minutes of prep and speaking time? Or is it in the dedicated process that each individual must apply themselves to before hand?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 am 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Sirsarcasm wrote:
Question: Is the benefit of Apologetics primarily in the 10 minutes of prep and speaking time? Or is it in the dedicated process that each individual must apply themselves to before hand?
I must agree. Isn't part of the benefit of competing in apologetics the research which you are forced to do? Doesn't that research help you learn more about your faith?

;) <3

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:06 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Sirsarcasm wrote:
A major part of the benefit is exposure to verses like these:

Category 1 / Definitions

Category 3 / Definitions

Enjoy not being "forced" to search your concordances for these verses, everyone. ;) I highly recommend looking through each card individually and customizing it before printing it.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 am 
titles are too mainstream.

^ Awesome!

I'll probably post some stuff I've found when I get around to it...

Sirsarcasm wrote:

This is what I thought at first but then I realized that this isn't going to take the place of my individual research. I'll use what I like (much as I would copy and paste the quotes I like from a blog, quote site, etc.) and leave the rest. And maybe, I'll have some time saved to really dig into the topics instead of spending it looking for Biblical support or whatnot.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 am 

lucky13 wrote:
Sirsarcasm wrote:
I must agree. Isn't part of the benefit of competing in apologetics the research which you are forced to do? Doesn't that research help you learn more about your faith?

I suppose, if you don't care about the topic of apologetics.
Though as Dawn said, a resource like this would allow you to spend time really digging deeper into the topics since the basic stuff has been taken care of(Just because the basic stuff has already been put in cards does not mean that you haven't learned anything).
Especially with cards such as Halogen's that contain verses. That's not going to hinder how much you learn. It's either you have them already cut out and put into cards, or you spend a lot of time lightly skimming chapters in the Bible trying to find verses. With the basics taken care of it leaves us with more time to study the topics in depth.
Now, since we have more time to study these issues in depth, it allows us to more effectively minister to others. Instead of copying down a definition, we can spend more time reading books such as "Why we Believe What we Believe"(I highly recommend that book btw). We now have more information at our disposal than what a definition will do for us.

_______

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:55 am 

Dr_Pepper wrote:

Sirsarcasm wrote:

This is what I thought at first but then I realized that this isn't going to take the place of my individual research. I'll use what I like (much as I would copy and paste the quotes I like from a blog, quote site, etc.) and leave the rest. And maybe, I'll have some time saved to really dig into the topics instead of spending it looking for Biblical support or whatnot.

What Dawn said. These cards should just be a basis or start for making your own cards. We have a club wiki that works the same way.

University of Dallas

Buy COG!

Openness is a value not a project

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:12 am 
JV the Epic

I see no problem contributing a card or two for this. But I probably won't get around to it till summer. (I haven't set up a scribid account yet. Looks like a great idea. I am going to run an apologetics class for my club next year and this looks like it will be an invaluable resource for my students.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:01 am 
Truth In Advertising

I am really happy for all of the other acheivers who are going to use these cards as foundations for their research.

However, somehow I doubt that the majority of non-vocal users are that committed (I certainly wasn't when I did apologetics) so the overall result might end up a net negative as people forgo their own research and use other peoples' cards so they can enjoy the events they might enjoy more.

Might want to keep that in mind...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:58 pm 

If you can read other peoples research you learn if you read your own research you learn....I don't see why anyone wouldn't like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

evensides wrote:
lucky13 wrote:
Sirsarcasm wrote:

I suppose, if you don't care about the topic of apologetics.
Though as Dawn said, a resource like this would allow you to spend time really digging deeper into the topics since the basic stuff has been taken care of(Just because the basic stuff has already been put in cards does not mean that you haven't learned anything).
Especially with cards such as Halogen's that contain verses. That's not going to hinder how much you learn. It's either you have them already cut out and put into cards, or you spend a lot of time lightly skimming chapters in the Bible trying to find verses. With the basics taken care of it leaves us with more time to study the topics in depth.
Now, since we have more time to study these issues in depth, it allows us to more effectively minister to others. Instead of copying down a definition, we can spend more time reading books such as "Why we Believe What we Believe"(I highly recommend that book btw). We now have more information at our disposal than what a definition will do for us.
Ok, that's cool. I approve of this thread :D. You haz my endorsement. I'll add stuff to this thread in a couple months :D.

;) <3

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 pm 
JV the Epic

Sirsarcasm wrote:
I am really happy for all of the other acheivers who are going to use these cards as foundations for their research.

However, somehow I doubt that the majority of non-vocal users are that committed (I certainly wasn't when I did apologetics) so the overall result might end up a net negative as people forgo their own research and use other peoples' cards so they can enjoy the events they might enjoy more.

In order to be part of the APL club you MUST do research. Otherwise you won't receive any of the verses and quotes that the club has researched. Katie came up with the idea and it was worked for two years.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:57 pm 

Sirsarcasm wrote:

Simply because generosity can be abused doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The people who contribute are being generous to others not to gain for themselves, but to give to others.
I'll try to contribute to this once I start making my cards latter in the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

Just a heads up to everyone; I'll be posting a lot of actual speeches on topics when the debate season kicks in. My friends may also allow me to post theirs.

_______

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 am 

Going to throw an idea out there... isn't apologetics, above all other events, one that you want to do yourself so you understand your faith?